Walmart’s Coupon Policy 2017
Walmart’s Coupon Policy:
UPDATE: Get the Walmart Price Catcher App for instant savings!
UPDATE: Walmart is now price-matching online retailers, Walmart.com’s new online price matching policy, thanks, Ashley!
** Online retailers include, but are not limited to: Academy.com, Amazon.com, Autozone.com, Babiesrus.com, Basspro.com, Bedbathandbeyond.com, Bestbuy.com, Cabelas.com, Dickssportinggoods.com, Dollargeneral.com, Familydollar.com, Homedepot.com, Jcpenny.com, Kmart.com, Kohls.com, Lowes.com, Michaels.com, Newegg.com, Officedepot.com, Oreillyauto.com, Pepboys.com, Petco.com, Petsmart.com, Sears.com, SportsAuthority.com, Staples.com, Target.com, Tigerdirect.com, Toysrus.com, Walgreens.com, Walmart.com
Coupon shopping at Walmart can be a drag as the store associates often don’t know the rules. Make sure you know them and can negotiate with un-informed cashiers – remember to stay nice and calm for best results! Here’s an online copy of Walmart’s Coupon Policy (updated June 2011); you might want to print it out and carry it with you!
Here’s my favorite change: Coupons may exceed the price of the item. Change may be given or applied toward the cost of the basket purchase.
Here’s what Wal-mart WILL accept:
- Manufacturer’s coupons
- Printed at Home coupons (internet or IP coupons)– WILL NOT accept printed at home coupons for items that require no purchase (“free” item coupons). Buy 1, get 1 free coupons require a purchase so these are valid. Coupons MUSTbe legible, have “manufacturer’s coupon” written on it, have a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date and a bar code that is scannable.
- Competitor’s coupons that feature a SPECIFIC ITEM FOR A SPECIFIC PRICE. For example, a coupon that says: Kelloggs Cornflakes $2.99. This is like price matching from a competitor’s ad. They WILL NOT accept any other store coupons that say, for example: $.50/1 Tide or 50% off Tide.
- Printed at our competitors’ registers for dollar/cents off on a specific itemCompetitor’s “Check Out Coupons” or catalinas. They MUST be legible, have “manufacturer’s coupon” written on them with specific requirements, a valid remit address for the manufacturer on them, a valid expiration date and a scannable bar code. Must have “Manufacturer Coupon” with specific item requirements printed on them. They wil no longer accept Catalina’s that read, for example: “Save $5.00 Off Your Next Purchase”. It has to read $$ off or Cents Off. For example: “Save $1.00 Off Jello Brand Pudding” Thanks, Melissa!
- Soft drink container caps
Wal-mart WILL NOT accept:
- Print at home internet coupons that require no purchase. (aka free product coupons)
- Other competitors store coupons for dollar or cents off a product, percent off a product, buy 1 get 1 free, or double-triple off. To make this clear NO Store coupons from other places will be accepted unless they are for a specific item at a specific price. For example: you have a coupon for Tide liquid detergent and the coupon states it is to be sold for $5.99. Wal-mart will then take the coupon and sell you the Tide for $5.99.
Wal-mart Guidelines and Limitations:
- Limit 1 coupon per item
- Coupons must have an expiration date and be used prior to expiration
- Coupons MAY EXCEED THE PRICE OF THE ITEM. Change may be given or applied towards the cost of the basket purchase.
- We only accept coupons for the merchandise we sell.
- Coupons must be presented at the time of purchase.
- We accept the following with Customer Service Supervisor or Management approval:
- 40 or more coupons
- Any coupon over $20.00
- $50.00 or more in coupons in a single transaction
You may want to print the Walmart ad above and keep it in your coupon binder – proving that Walmart takes competitor’s store coupons!